Thursday, February 11, 2016

The (New) Shame List

The original "shame list" was written back in April 2008, detailing the many classic (or at least notable) films that I'd somehow never seen, despite my self-professed status as the King Of Cinema.  It was a pretty lengthy list, and after almost eight years of trying...uh, well, it's still pretty long. 

In fact, in eight years, the list has only been shortened by eight movies: Aliens, Godfather 2, The Hustler, North by Northwest, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Rocky IV, Say Anything, Sunset Boulevard.  I have to credit my pal Kyle for his help in cutting this total down, as he's always kept that old shame list post in the back of his mind, so whenever I make my annual visit to his place, our tradition is to watch one or two movies from this list.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I got to cross off Aliens and Rocky IV.

The other problem with the 'shame list' is that by its very nature, it's bound to keep growing.  So I have not only the movies from the vintage list that I've still yet to see, I also have another secondary list of 'to-watch' films on a text file on my computer.  So at this rate, I'll be wrapped up with this project by the time the 22nd century rolls around.  Here's both the original and the new lists, and feel free to drop your mouth open in shock at how I've somehow gone my entire life letting some of these movies clip through the cracks. 

The African Queen, Amadeus, The Apartment, Apocalypse Now, The Bad News Bears (the original)
Ben-Hur, The Breakfast Club, Bridge on the River Kwai, Bull Durham, Cool Hand Luke, Das Boot
Dog Day Afternoon, The English Patient, The Exorcist, Godfather Part III, Gone With The Wind, The Goonies, The Great Dictator, Hamlet (the Olivier version and the Mel Gibson version), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky II, Rocky III, Schindler's List, The Sound of Music, Stand By Me, Toy Story II

Glengarry Glen Ross, King Of Kong, The English Patient, Crying Game, Atlantic City, My Favourite Year, Paths Of Glory, Spanish Prisoner, Kicking and Screaming, Rebecca, Thin Man, Cache, Zodiac, Modern Romance, Primer, Dead Again, The Iron Giant, Not Fade Away, The Long Goodbye, Cassandra's Dream, Hot Rod, The Limey, Before Sunrise trilogy, Worricker Trilogy, I Saw The Devil, Barton Fink, Murder By Death, Tales Of The Script, MASH

No comments: