Friday, January 31, 2020

Hot! Live! Music!

Puddles Pity Party, "Friday I'm In Love"
What better song to post on a Friday?  This is kind of a unique version, as you've got Puddles (who is your standard "seven-foot-tall guy dressed as a clown who sings somber cover versions of popular songs" act) doing this Cure classic in the style of Bruce Springsteen, more or less combining it with "Thunder Road."  In short, this song could hardly be more up my alley.  Hot take: is "Friday I'm In Love" the best pop song of all time?

Postmodern Jukebox and Mario Jose, "Juice"
The galaxy-brain version of the "get Weird Al to play the Super Bow halftime show" idea would be to get the Postmodern Jukebox to play it, with a revolving door of singers (like Mario Jose) covering every hit under the sun.  For the next Super Bowl in New Orleans, for instance, play everything in the style of old-school N'awlins jazz.

Robyn Adele Anderson, "Intergalactic"
Robyn Anderson could be one of the PMJ's singers, as long as they manage to bury the hatchet of this imaginary feud between them that exists entirely within my head.  You know, because RAA now essentially does the PMJ's schtick on her own personal series of videos, and I can only imagine there's some bad blood.  I have zero idea, by the way, if she preceded the Postmodern Jukebox, or if they're completely cool with it since ultimately they're both just cover artists anyway, or if maybe it says something about me that I negatively assume everyone starts rivalry over petty matters.  Why can't I be more like Mario C, who likes to keep it clean?


Duran Duran, "A View To A Kill/Bond medley"
Duran Duran is one of those bands that I know virtually nothing about, besides their 3-4 biggest hits and the fact that they were one of the biggest bands in the world for much of the 80's.  Actually, I'm selling them short by saying three or four hits --- this seems like one of those instances where if I took ten seconds to properly look up their greatest hits album, I'd be like "wait, that's also a Duran Duran song? And so is that?!" and eventually I'd realize I enjoy like 13 of their tracks.

No comments: