Thursday, July 18, 2019

Superpowers

I guess this technically falls under the category of beatboxing, but I've always been able to make a percussion-esque rhythm with my closed mouth.  I'm also able to hum at the same time, thus making me a one-man sound machine.  This didn't seem like a big deal until I was absent-mindedly humming/mouth-drumming "Sabotage" one day, and my friend M reacted with complete "how are you doing that?" surprise.

So the question is...is M simply crazy, or have am I a freak of nature?  A superhuman, if you will?  Am I the long-lost son of that guy from the Police Academy movies?

As far as powers go, it isn't too high on the list, admittedly.  It's not going to get me into the Avengers or anything.  In terms of superpowers one can naturally fit into one's life, however, it's not bad.  By this, I mean one of those X-Men types of abilities that gives you power but also more or less ruins your day-to-day existence.  Like, Beast becoming a hairy blue monster, or Cyclops not being able to control the intense laser beams coming out of his open eyes at all times.

Telekinesis is still my easy #1 choice if I could pick a superpower for myself, since it's both incredibly powerful and also a "hidden" type of ability.  I'd much rather have a hidden power than an ability that's technically more powerful but harder to control or keep secret --- Beast may be a lot more powerful than Cypher, but in the real world, I'd rather be Cypher 100 percent of the time.

While on the subject of heroes, here's Conan O'Brien's Spider-Verse themed intro for his week of shows at ComicCon.


No comments: