Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Hot! Live! Music!

Rab Noakes, "Mississippi"
This just reinforces my long-standing theory that nobody sounds better singing Bob Dylan songs than anyone other than Bob Dylan.

Alvvays, "Archie Marry Me"
I highly recommend Alvvays' debut album, which was released in 2014 but I only recently just heard from start to finish.  Hey, by the way, isn't it hilariously weird that the Archie Comics characters were rebooted into a hard-bitten noir show that is, by all accounts, crazy?  I realize this doesn't technically relate to the song or the band, but still, it's pretty weird, right?

Queen, "Under Pressure"
Not to repeat myself from the "Worst Movies Of 2018" post, but it still blows my mind that people felt a half-assed biopic was necessary to fall in love with Queen's music, when....you can just listen to Queen's music.  Or, if a visual element is required, just watch the actual performances, like this one.  Who needs Mr. Robot when you can watch the actual, inimitable Freddie Mercury?

Oasis, "Acquiesce"
I love that this is sort of the gritty underbelly version of the aforementioned Queen performance.  Liam Gallagher isn't Freddie Mercury (who is?), but damned if that hands-behind-the-back, microphone-pressed-up-against-upper lip singing stance isn't almost as iconic in the pantheon of British rock performances.

No comments: