Sunday, March 20, 2016

Random Nonsense

“10 Cloverfield Lane” should go into the Hall of Fame for marketing.  Here’s a film that was developed completely independently of the original Cloverfield movie, and then I have to imagine the studio wondered how marketable a psychological drama with less-than-major stars would be, even in the shallow winter release schedule.  So a call to JJ Abrams and Matt Reeves later, and suddenly you have a pseudo-sequel to Cloverfield that (it should be said) has virtually nothing to do with the original movie, but gets some solid box office.  Well played, studio.

So in total?  Not a bad movie.  John Goodman is truly one of the most underrated actors around.  This film truly captures the horror involved in being trapped with Goodman in an underground bunker, since I’d imagine the Roseanne stories would have to get old after a while.

*********

Ok, so I was originally going to post this on Thursday when March Madness began, though it’s even funnier now.  Anyway, this segment of the post was going to be ‘my prediction to win the tournament,’ based around how my feeling about this year’s bracket was equal parts predicting a ton of upsets since it’s been such a rudderless year in college basketball, or just going chalk since I felt Kansas and Michigan State were such a cut above everyone else.  Ultimately, my pick was going to be Michigan State running the table to win the national championship.



Um….

*********

I don’t care for Peyton Manning.  I don’t care for Jimmy Fallon.  I only care for Kristen Wiig about two-thirds of the time.  And yet this video….good times.


*********

Some friends and I were recently debating about a modern update of Glengarry Glen Ross, which would essentially re-frame the story by casting younger actors instead of the middle-aged cast of the original movie.  (So the salesmen are all perhaps even more desperate to stay relevant since they faces decades of uncertainty if they come up short now.)  I was somewhat hampered by the fact that it’s been well over 20 years since I saw the original film version, though we all came up with Ryan Gosling in the Pacino role, Oscar Isaac in the Alec Baldwin role, Tobey Maguire in the Jack Lemmon role, Miles Teller in the Spacey role and Shia LaBeouf as almost anyone in the cast.  Come to think of it, Isaac or Teller could play many of these roles too.  I’m very open to suggestions for your ideal all-female version of Glengarry Glen Ross.

No comments: