Saturday, January 10, 2015

Other People's Writing

* Grantland's Shea Serrano and Jason Concepcion evaluate the top 10 movie fighters of all time, with loads of other awards given in various categories.  Their top choice is pretty solid, but I feel they left out Butch Cassidy.  It's hard to top his traditional fight-opening move.

* An absolutely gorgeous memoir/story from Joe Posnanski about his start in journalism.  Did I ever write about how I actually met Posnanski a couple of years ago?  He was visiting Toronto for a story and I ran into him at work, giving me an opportunity to shake his hand and compliment him on his writing.  Nice fellow!

* Also from Posnanski, he writes about the intertwining lives of Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau.  I think I speak for all Canadians when I say that I could read "Gordie Howe is tough as nails" and "Jean Beliveau was the classiest man in the world" stories all day.

* Grantland's Robert Mays profiles the Packers' offensive line, giving them a nice spotlight in the wake of their collective impressive season.  I admit, I was worried about the O-line going into the year but they've played well. My only fear now is that this article was a massive jinx heading into this weekend's playoff game and now Aaron Rodgers will get sacked nine times.

* Another terrific review from Wesley Morris, my favourite film critic, looking at Ana DuVernay's "Selma."  It was a very good film, one worthy of a Best Picture nomination, even if some of the big names in bit parts were oddly distracting.  Martin Sheen and Cuba Gooding Jr. each getting a minute of screen time?

* The Grantland staff steals my acclaimed 'Listamania' gimmick and creates a bunch of top five lists in a nod to the movie Top Five.  Now, for those who haven't seen the film, Chris Rock plays a movie star who is rather dissatisfied with his marriage and realizes this over the course of a long-form interview with a reporter (the always-terrific Rosario Dawson).  In real life, Rock did a ton of long-form interviews to promote this movie, and now he's getting a divorce from his actual wife.  If we find out that Rock is hooking up with one of those reporters, this whole thing is going through the looking glass.  

* The highlight of Grantland's recent "Paul Thomas Anderson tribute week" was this sprawling oral history of Boogie Nights that's almost as sprawling as the movie itself.  I really need to see this film again at some point --- I saw it once when I was about 16 and didn't care for it at all, yet I readily admit that's far too young to appreciate a PTA film.

* Speaking of sprawling, here's an interview the Guardian's Dorian Lynskey conducted with U2 that covers just about everything under the sun.  It's from October, so it's a bit outdated in regards to things like Bono's bicycle accident and subsequent injuries, which I'm trying to convince myself aren't too serious.

* Taking a postmodern look at the idea of a 'best of' list for the year, Rolling Stone instead released its list of the year's best….lists.  This is the rare Rolling Stone countdown that doesn't have a musician from the 1960's or 70's at the top.

No comments: