Sunday, August 24, 2014

Other People's Writing

Should I get royalties for linking to these articles?  Have I been costing myself money for years and years with these posts?  I am a moron.

* Perhaps in honour of the VMAs this weekend (a.k.a. the most "God, I'm Old" night of the year), I'm linking to my first-ever piece from the MTV news website.  Okay, MTV had nothing to do with it, I'd link to any website that had an oral history of Galaxy Quest, one of the true underrated comedies in recent years.  It's the perfect kind of parody that both satirizes and pays tribute to the source material, and frankly, if you're a Star Trek fan that hasn't seen this movie, you have failed at life.  Funniest part of the oral history is clearly how everyone is trying to avoid outright saying that Tim Allen was (is?) an asshole.

* As wonderful as the Onion is, the fact that it has spawned a (non-satirical) phenomenal pop culture website in the AV Club is arguably of equal value.  The AV Club's John Teti, for instance, has the space and opportunity to rank all 30 of Mario Kart 8's characters.  It's a lot of fun, though I feel Teti is underrating Koopa Troopa, my preferred racer whenever I'm playing a Mario Kart game --- control trumps speed, bitches!  (Teti's write-up on Koopa Troopa, in fairness, is arguably the funniest one of the entire bunch.)

* As usual, there's a lot of Grantland in this edition of OP'sW, because what other website can bust out a fantastic article about a completely random topic as how the bridal invitation postmark business is essentially keeping the little town of Bridal Veil, Oregon alive.  Katie Baker is the author here, and I won't lie, I really miss her on the regular Grantland hockey beat.  Sean McIndoe's regular "hey, here's a list of things, most of which involve the Leafs" pieces are wearing a bit thin.

* There's nothing overtly special about this Grantland piece by Robert Mays about the Chicago Bears' revamped offence, yet I just really dug it as a quality piece of sportswriting.  Mays is a Bears fan and clearly knows his stuff, and it was so thoroughly solid that even this Packers supporter enjoyed the read.  Is it odd that even though I'm a Green Bay guy through and through, I don't really hate the Bears all that much?  In my generation of Packer fandom, the Pack have more or less owned Chicago, so it's hard to muster up much genuine animosity towards them.  Maybe I'll start getting more afraid since Marc Trestman looks like an alien.

* Grantland's Zach Lowe absolutely kills it with a straight-faced analysis of Space Jam, a movie he (a 36-year-old basketball junkie) has never seen before and knew little about.  It's basically a tongue-in-cheek real version of Krusty complaining about the Washington Generals' tactics against the Harlem Globetrotters, as at one point, Lowe feels that if the fouling rules were so lax that Wile E. Coyote was allowed to use dynamite, the Coyote should've played the entire game.  Man's got a point!

* Grantland's Shea Serrano is back with another matrix, this one evaluating several famous NBA "post-impressive thing on the court" celebrations over the years.  Pretty sure he left out the famous celebration of actually catching on fire when you sink….oh wait, I've confused life with NBA Jam.  Again. 

* Why doesn't New York City produce as much basketball talent as in years gone by?  Jordan Ritter Conn asks the question in a story that I enjoyed, if I had to roll my eyes a bit at the general "how could this happen in New York, the Greatest City In The World?!" hand-wringing tone. 

* Grantland's Alex Pappademas reviews and/or has his life consumed by the Kim Kardashian: Hollywood mobile app game.  This seems to be the latest method in which the Kardashian has generated millions of dollars through absolutely nothing, so by this point I have to throw up my hands and just acknowledge that Kris Jenner might be the greatest marketer in human history.  As always, upon mentioning the Kardashians, I feel compelled to mention that Bruce Jenner was legitimately considered the best athlete in the world at one point.  Seriously.  That guy.

No comments: