Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Other People's Writing

Five-pack of Grantland stories for y'all....

* Bryan Curtis writes about the tragedy of Maurice Stokes, his lifelong friendship with Jack Twyman and the creation of "The Stokes Game" in his honour.   Terrific, moving story and one that has been somewhat lost over time given that Stokes died over 40 years ago.

* With "Gravity" kicking ass with critics and making a fortune at the box office, Emily Yoshida details the career of Alfonso Cuaron.  I might as well take this opportunity to say that I LOVED "Gravity" and it's my favourite movie of the year thus far (sorry, "Mud").  Since Cuaron directed, co-wrote, co-produced and co-edited the film, I'm guessing he's walking away with at least one trophy on Oscar night, and it's very well deserved.

* Emily Yoshida is the MVP of this month's Other People's Writing, as here she is again for her retrospective of Myst on the 20th anniversary of the game's release.  I must admit, I've never played Myst before in my life but the idea is pretty fascinating.  It's one of those cases where I whole-heartedly support the concept and feel that more games like Myst should be made, even if I have no particular interest in playing such games myself.  How magnanimous of me!

* Pros: Sean Fennessey's story about Harry Nilsson's life and career is really good.  Cons: It inspires one to actually listen to some of Nilsson's music, which, yeah, didn't quite live up to the hype.  Is it possible I had the misfortune of picking Nilsson's four worst songs on a random YouTube search?  ("Without You" is excepted since it's not a cover, not a real 'Nilsson song,' and because it's an awesome tune)

* And finally, we end on some pure insanity from Shea Serrano as he lists the top 15 splits of Jean-Claude Van Damme's movie career.  It was either this or picking the top 15 splits of Gary Cooper's movie career, which would've been a lot harder.  While we're discussing JCVD, I demand to know everything about how his current role in a GoDaddy ad campaign came about, since it is delightful.


No comments: