Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!"

So, the Packers missed out on the playoffs. They pulled out an inspiring win against the league-leading Chicago Bears (coughwhosattheirstartersbecausetheyalreadyhadaspotclinchedcough), but New York won on Saturday to grab the final NFC playoff spot. Though my last post was ambivalent at best about Green Bay getting in, it still sucks that they were beaten out by the friggin' Giants. You just can't respect a team whose star running back says his hero is Matt Lauer.

Anyway, NFL playoff picks! Taking a look at my preseason predictions, I scored four of six correct in the AFC (Chiefs and Jets got in over the Steelers and Broncos), and three of six in the NFC (Cowboys, Eagles and Saints made it in over my hilariously awful picks of the Redskins, Bucs and Panthers). I'm putting these in just to keep myself humble, and to remind anyone reading this not to use my predictions for gambling purposes, since I clearly know nothing about football. One more year like this and I'll start using the Diane Chambers "pick the city with the better orchestra" method.

Eagles over the Giants
Screw the Giants. Philly is going to ruin them. Jeff Garcia, CFL representing. Philadelphia has been the hottest team in the NFL over the last month, and the Giants have been freefalling like Saddam through a trap door.

Seahawks over the Cowboys
This is tough to pick. Dallas has been struggling over the last month, and I'm pretty sure that even I could make five catches for 92 yards against their secondary. The Cowboys look scorched, especially considering Seattle's vaunted homefield advantage at Qwest....oh wait, they were just 5-3 at home this season. That's because the Seahawks stink. This is one of the most mediocre playoff matchups in NFL history. In the end, I'll pick the team that doesn't have Terrell Owens.

Patriots over the Jets
Best game of the day. It's a classic matchup --- two divisional rivals, a recent dynasty against a recent sadsack franchise, a young coach who used to work for the coaching legend coming back to face his old boss. It's very possible that New York could win this game, but in the end, I just can't pick against Belichick and Brady at home. They shouldn't have lost that game in Denver last season, and I have a feeling that NE (for all of their injuries and receiver issues) are still something of a sleeping giant. They were 12-4 for pity's sake, yet all of the hype seemed to go to other teams this season. Pats win, but it's by three or less points.

Colts over the Chiefs
Every year, there's one playoff game that looks like what I call the "reverse favourite." That's when one team is favoured, but the other team has so much going for it that they become the trendy upset pick upon whose bandwagon everyone jumps. These reverse favourites then promptly go out and shit the bed, thus proving why the other team were the legit favourites in the first place. The Chiefs are this year's RF, since the conventional wisdom is that since a) Indy can't stop the run and b) Kansas City has Larry Johnson, they will run all over the Colts. The trouble I see with that strategy is that it invites Indianapolis into a shootout, and nobody beats the Colts in a shootout. As much as I'd love to see Manning choke away yet another playoff game, that'll have to wait until the next round, when he is sacked approximately 12 times by Baltimore and then blames everyone but his immobile self.

No comments: