Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sods and Odds

Wide range of answers to the 'funniest SNL cast member' poll. Four-way tie for the win, with Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, Will Forte, Kristin Wiig each picking up two votes. Forte was my pick, and I'm presuming Poehler's two votes came from someone who's never seen the show before. Darrell Hammond, Seth Meyers, Bill Hader and Kenan Thompson each picked up a sole vote each.

Fun Kristin Wiig fact: according to a NY gossip column, she made out with Joe the Plumber at the after-party of the SNL episode hosted by Josh Brolin (a.k.a. the one where Brolin was overshadowed by Sarah Palin, Mark Wahlberg and 1000 other special guests). I'd normally be upset at this since Wiig is awesome and I'd hate to see her slumming, but then again, this is Joe the Plumber we're talking about. Everything about this man is untrue. His name isn't Joe. He's not a plumber. He wasn't an undecided voter. Hell, he wasn't even a registered voter. The man is a living asterisk. Bill Simmons coined the phrase 'the Tyson Zone' for people who you could automatically believe anything you're told about them, no questions asked, i.e. You wouldn't believe that Martin Landau wrestles alligators, but you would believe that Mike Tyson would do it. Is the opposite of the Tyson Zone be the Joe The Plumber Zone, for people who you automatically disbelieve anything you're told about them? This zone would include the guy from the McDonald's commercial who takes credit for everything, and J.P. Ricciardi.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A follow-up to my 'deserted island albums' post. My pal Jordan made a comment in regards to why I picked Pearl Jam's 6/15/2000 bootleg over any of their other thousand bootlegs or their studio albums. Basically what it came down to is that two discs of Pearl Jam goodness is better than one, hence picking it over the studio albums. And as for that particular bootleg, I have both of the PJ shows from Katowice and I literally just flipped a coin. Seriously. The 6/15 show has 'Present Tense' on it, so that's a plus. Those two albums combined are a great overview of PJ's catalogue, though obviously now a bit outdated given the lack of anything from the self-titled album and Riot Act. Hmm, perhaps it's time to get another bootleg of a new material-heavy concert on their next tour.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I'm starting a new blog feature called 'Funniest Moments.' These will describe (spoiler alert) some of the funniest moments of my life, all of which actually happened, cross my heart. They may not be funny to you since they're sort of out-of-context, but rest assured, I found them amusing. And really, if you people are going to vicariously live through me anyway, you might as well learn what makes me laugh.

So a few years ago I'm driving in Lambeth and I'm stuck behind an impossibly slow driver. I loudly state "What the hell is this clown doing?" to myself out loud, and then pull alongside to pass him. I take a peek at the other driver and, lo and behold, it's an actual clown. Full makeup, green suit, everything.

It's a good thing I don't suffer from road rage, since if I had confronted him, 15 other guys would've come out of his car and kicked the tar out of me.

No comments: